Data meets nature. Green Mountain Case Study
Green Mountain puts the power of nature to use in their secure data centre, deep inside a Norwegian mountain..
We are consuming data at an unprecedented pace: 3 billion Facebook videos viewed daily; 300 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every hour.
In today’s data-driven world, the uptime of colocation data centers – vast banks of servers that process everything from online videos to financial assets – is essential.
Delivering secure and reliable data center services can come at an environmental cost though: energy use in data centers today contributes to 2% of global CO2 emissions.
So how did one colocation facility, built in a former NATO bunker buried deep within a mountain, turn the tables and use the power of nature to become one of the world’s most reliable and sustainable data centers?
When Green Mountain decided to implement the idea of a green data center, they needed contractors and suppliers that had the most energy efficient and reliable solutions available in the market.
Schneider Electric handled every data center infrastructure aspect of the enormous project that included designing a cooling system that uses gravity to bring cold water from the adjacent fjord to the data center’s cooling station, deep within a mountain in a former NATO facility. This is done without using any power and without relying on refrigerant gases.
Powered by 100% renewable hydro power, Green Mountain supports the critical uptime needs of its customers, operating as one of the greenest data centers in the world – part of their plan to deliver a large ‘zero-emission’ facility.
'We share a lot of values with Schneider Electric, especially around renewable energies.'
-Knut Molaug, CEO Green Mountain
Schneider Electric Solutions for Green Mountain
- Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) tools, control components and about 12,000 measuring points
- Symmetra™ MW UPSs
- Canalis LV busway
- Prisma LV Distribution
- SM6 + transformers
- MV/Citect Scada
- Uniflair™ technical room coolers
- Infrastruxure™ hot aisle containment systems with in-row coolers and racks
- Power Utilization Efficiency (PUE) rating of 1.2
- 13,600 square metres
- Tier III Certification
- Zero CO2 emissions
- Powered by 100% renewable hydro power
- Datacenter Dynamics ‘Green Data Center of the Year’ award in 2013
- Servers are cooled using fjord water eliminating the need for chillers leading the way to cutting data centre energy use by a third
- Built on an island, buried deep within a mountain in a former NATO munitions bunker