- Fonterra customer story Redefining New Zealand’s milk industry
See how we are helping Fonterra push the limits of performance, safety and efficiency
Challenge• Global scale: Fonterra runs a local New Zealand operation with an international reach. Consisting of many different dairy co-operatives and farms, they have to consider many factors and deal with natural interruptions when trying to achieve production consistency. That’s why Fonterra searched for a reliable electrical partner that understood their local industry and had a global presence.
• Highest standards of hygiene, quality and freshness: Milk is a time-critical product that must meet the strictest requirements for safety and quality. Machinery downtime, delivery delays or improper care can cause some milk producers to dump their produce. The company needed a supplier that could craft a dedicated relationship based on mutual trust, and one prepared for breakdown management when it happens.
• Industrial efficiency and sustainability: At the same time Fonterra needed a partner with the vision to use industrial efficiency as a means to be environmentally friendly and create sustainable business practices for their future.
SolutionEfficiency and Reliability with EcoStruxure
Apps, Analytics & Services: UVP – services and support – total solution offer and lifecycle management
Connected Products: SCADA, automation, drives, motor control, MV, LV distribution, lighting control, C-Bus, UPS, wiring accessories
• Complete solution for greater efficiency: Once a diverse range of small or medium dairy co-operatives, the New Zealand dairy industry has had a long-standing relationship with Schneider Electric. It was a natural step for us to provide a complete product/solution that could be employed on a local and global scale, streamlining electrical distribution and making it compatible across the board for greater production efficiency.
• Expert guidance for greenfield project: In addition to day-to-day operations, Fonterra has expanded their infrastructure with our guidance and built a much larger milk processing site called Darfield – their first greenfield site since all other major capital projects had been on existing sites with legacy systems.
• More than 30 tons of whole milk powder per hour: With this impressive output and capacity of up to 4.4 million liters of milk a day, the Darfield 2 milk blower is an outstanding success for Fonterra.
• The biggest and most efficient dairy plant in the world: Fonterra has evolved from local milk co-operatives to a global industry giant. Schneider Electric has been a partner in this journey and our strong relationship with New Zealand’s dairy industry and will surely endure as Fonterra continues to grow.
Learn how your business can achieve success with Innovation At Every Level
Results• As a result, Darfield has been an outstanding success. Its milk blower named Darfield 2 can consume between 4.2 and 4.4 million liters a day, and produce over 30 tons of whole milk powder every hour!
• From humble beginnings with milk co-operatives to the biggest and most efficient dairy plant in the world, one great benefit Fonterra has discovered while working with Schneider Electric has been the enduring nature of their relationship. It’s a long-running history with New Zealand’s dairy industry and will surely endure as Fonterra continues to grow
The complete product/solution offer provided by Schneider Electric includes:
• SCADA, automation, drives, motor control, MV, LV distribution, lighting control, C-Bus, UPS, wiring accessories, design consulting, project management, and power quality
• UVP – services and support – total solution offer and lifecycle management
- Fonterra is the New Zealand’s largest dairy producer and the world’s largest dairy exporter
- Darfield is the first greenfield site to be developed by Fonterra
- It is the biggest, most efficient dairy site in the world
- Darfield 2 drier machine consumes between 4.2 and 4.4 million liters a day
- Darfield 2 produces over 30 tons of whole milk powder per hour
- 5% of SENZ turnover can be directly attributed to Fonterra