Data meets nature Green Mountain case study
Green Mountain puts the power of nature to use in their secure data center, deep inside a Norwegian mountain.
Challenge• We are consuming data at an unprecedented pace: 3 billion Facebook videos viewed daily; 300 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every hour.
• In today’s data-driven world, the uptime of colocation data centers – vast banks of servers that process everything from online videos to financial assets – is essential.
• Delivering secure and reliable data center services can come at an environmental cost though: energy use in data centers today contributes to 2% of global CO2 emissions.
• So how did one colocation facility, built in a former NATO bunker buried deep within a mountain, turn the tables and use the power of nature to become one of the world’s most reliable and sustainable data centers?
SolutionReliability and Sustainability with EcoStruxure
Edge Control: Power Logic Controls
Connected Products: In-Row cooling system, Scalable InfraStruxure
• When Green Mountain decided to implement the idea of a green data center, they needed contractors and suppliers that had the most energy efficient and reliable solutions available in the market.
• Schneider Electric handled every data center infrastructure aspect of the enormous project that included designing a cooling system that uses gravity to bring cold water from the adjacent fjord to the data center’s cooling station, deep within a mountain in a former NATO facility.
• Powered by 100% renewable hydro power, Green Mountain supports the critical uptime needs of its customers, operating as one of the greenest data centers in the world
• Part of their plan is to deliver a large ‘zero-emission’ facility.
Learn how your business can achieve success with Innovation At Every Level.
Discover more customer stories
Results• Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) tools, control components and about 12,000 measuring points
• Symmetra™ MW UPSs, Canalis LV busway, Prisma LV Distribution
• SM6 + transformers
• MV/Citect Scada
• Uniflair™ technical room coolers, Infrastruxure™ hot aisle containment systems with in-row coolers and racks